Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Aspiring Ace of Cakes

My latest dream is to become a cake artist. I've been watching Ace of Cakes and The Most Amazing Wedding Cakes religiously. Those cakes are Unbelievable and they have inspired me. I'm considering signing up for Michaels' cake decorating classes. The other day at Walmart I stood in the cake decorating aisle for 15 minutes imagining my future as a highly successful cake maker. I did have a real purpose being there (I don't usually loiter in public places just to daydream). Kyle's birthday was coming, so I had the opportunity to plan and make a cake, and also to determine whether I had any raw cake artistry talents. You can be the judge. Here's the finished product after almost 3 hours!:

I'm kind of joking, I promise I don't think I'm amazing or anything. I posted a blurry picture because the cupcakes look better that way. If you can't tell, the cupcakes are golf holes (18 in all just like a real course, with flags, sand traps, water hazards, and golf balls.) Turns out the whole cake decorating thing is harder than I thought (even with a loyal assistant like Lisa). This is what they were supposed to look like:


Maybe if I was Martha Stewart I would have access to things like "colored sanding sugar." Anyway I don't think I'll really go professional. I would gain 50 lbs. being around all that buttercream frosting. I ended up eating 7 of the 18 "holes". So, it turns out, cupcakes don't have to look all that impressive to taste impressive. Happy Birthday to my favorite golfer, I'll make you a cake any day.

2 comments:

Veronica Ernest said...

Your cupcakes look awesome. I love making cakes. Its super cheap and fun!

Dustin & Angie Drake said...

I saw these on one of the crafty blogs I frequent and was contemplating making them for Dustin's birthday. Yours look like they turned out great! It was fun seeing you the other day. You'll have to come out to play groups more often this summer while you can still take advantage of Kyle's babysitting.