Friday, May 20, 2011

Out of the Mouths of Babes

I delight in Junior Sharing Time every Sunday. Why? Because of moments like this:

The Sister Missionaries were special guests in the Primary last Sunday. The children were a captive audience as the missionaries explained the joys of missionary work. Then, the missionaries posed a question and asked: "So how many of you boys and girls want to be missionaries when you grow up?"

Their inquiry was answered predictably by hands shooting up around the room, including my Noah on the front row. Noah was not content to answer the question with merely a raise of hand. He stood up and chanted: "Hey, Hey, Hey!" until the missionaries acknowledged him.

The missionaries called on him and asked him to share his thoughts. He said enthusiastically: "When I grow up..." (At this point, I held my breath, awaiting a spiritually-mature comment about how he wants to be the best missionary someday and teach everyone about Jesus. I prepared to flash my humble mother smile as my sweet Sunbeam son in his Sunday suit and tie continued what I assumed to be the aforementioned darling comment.)

He paused, then his eyes narrowed, his voice dropping into an ominous growl: "I am going to KILL ALL THE BAD GUYS."

A collective gasp sounded from the Primary children and the teachers alike. No one expected murderous confessions to be a part of this uplifting and motivational discussion about sharing the gospel. The missionaries, clearly caught off-guard, stammered for a moment and then recovered, cleverly: "But we should never kill people. Instead of killing them, we should teach the bad guys the gospel! And then, when they learn about Jesus, they will probably want to change, and then the bad guys will turn into good guys!"

Noah pondered on this alternative for a moment. The sister missionaries prompted him: "Don't you think that would be a good idea?"

(I looked desperately at Noah, trying to capture his attention with my feverish head nods and subliminal messages: "Yes, Noah! Just say 'YES' and tell the nice missionary ladies that you want to be a good non-violent man when you grow up and help Heavenly Father by converting every bad guy! Killing is BAD! Sharing the gospel is GOOD!")

Noah paused and then spoke up resolutely with a sense of finality in his voice: "No, I think I will just kill them all."

Oh, Noah. Apparently he did not get my subliminal messages. I did not know I was raising the Inforcer.

7 comments:

Laura Read said...

He is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ella said...

Ok, Kate, that is HILARIOUS! And your writing of it is so stinking good!

Shelli said...

hahaha! What a great primary moment! I love it!

April said...

I am laughing soooo hard right now! This is exactly something my boys would say! hahah :)

Brittany Crane said...

Oh my gosh that is hilarious and made me laugh out loud. Hallie is totally into bad guys right now and wants to pretend play fighting them. Ahhh we are awesome moms! lol

Krie said...

Ha ha ha! This is awesome!!! I laughed so hard and then when I recovered, I had to re-read your entry, just aloud this time, so Dani could hear it. I think he would have really liked to be Noah´s best friend, if he were his age again ;). He laughed!
I miss you tons and I really enjoy all your blog entries. Reading them makes me feel a little closer to you. LOVE YA!

Unknown said...

Oh, that is too funny! I know you already told me this story, but this retelling is so hilarious. I love it! Noah is such a crack up. I adore both of your boys! I'm sure by the time he is a missionary he will just want to teach the people about Jesus, rather than kill the bad guys, but only time will tell ;)