Tuesday, August 12, 2008

first day of school

I forced Kyle into taking first day of school pictures just like a mom would for her little kindergarten child (minus the Disney character backpack and lunchbox). Doesn't he look cute?


We have had fun getting ready for the school year, especially getting his new classroom all set up. We were starting from scratch since he is a first year teacher and hasn't accumulated teacher junk. After we threw out all the trash the former teacher left behind in his room, the classroom was a basically a blank canvas to work with. So we bought lots of real canvases, and went to town. We spent the weekend painting flags of Spanish speaking countries. We've also been working on duplicating some Diego Rivera paintings to hang in the classroom.

(these are still works in progress)

(our flag artwork on display)


It has been fun getting back to the art I love. And Kyle has some surprising artistic talents of his own. He could have gone into Art Education instead of Spanish! Anyway, Day 1 went well. He already has kids wanting to add his class because they heard from friends that Mr. Campbell is cool. I'm so proud.

15 comments:

Ella said...

You guys are the model couple. That is so cute that you worked on that together. Kyle looks like a great teacher! And I love that the word is out. The room and the flags look awesome. And I really can't believe the painting in progress. Amazing.

Laura Read said...

I would have taken Spanish if Mr Campbell taught at my school. Will you paint me a picture for my house? I have no decorations on the walls.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Can I call you Mr. Dar? Or do I have to call you Mr. Campbell? If you want to feed your ego a bit, tell the kids that in high school in Latin America the students refer to their teachers as Profe. So they have to call you Profe. Campbell. But you have to justify that by saying it's a culture lesson. Have fun, "Oh captain my captain".

Dana Cheryl said...

Ya'll are so cute!

Megan said...

How fun!! You guys are so cool! Kyle, good luck at school!

Nicki said...

Kate -- you guys are so cute! Seriously -- what a fun family you have :)

Brooke Morgan said...

We are so proud. I can't believe you didn't call me and tell me about your day. I will call tomorrow. We can't wait to see you guys. You truly are the cool mr. campbell!

Dustin & Angie Drake said...

I can't imagine how much time you spent painting all of those flags. I copied and pasted all of the flags off of Wikipedia and printed them at Costco...and even that took forever! The classroom looks good!

Debbie said...

I am sooo proud of you. Can I come to your class and learn Spanish? Maybe then I can communicate with my husband!!! You guys are the cutest, and I love you both. Love the flags and am anxious to see the faux paintings! Are there copyright laws? I'll sneek a file into jail baked in a cake.

Ryan said...

Glad to see my Colombian flag at the front of the room. If you ever need me to come sing your students the national anthem, just let me know. Megs could join and sing Mexico's, too!

Jessiquita said...

hey thats awesome congrats on the job. and im sure everyone will love mr. campbell!! thats so awesome teaching spanish must be so fun.. way to go!! miss you guys!

Linn said...

Mr. Campbell is cool!

Johnson said...

How fun! Your class room looks fantastic. Good luck on the first day!

Julie said...

Congrats! The room looks awesome! It's always fun to get the room ready.

Grammyanne said...

That is the cutest picture of a guy that isn't Noah. You look MAABELOUS, Mr. Campbell. Just as good as your room and your able assistant.
Have fun being the coolest teacher in the school.
I am so proud of you and love you much.